Roller (Derby) Roller (Coasters)
I met The Trephinist!
(Exposition is not so much happening on this post, evidently.) But what can I say? I was excited! She is, after all, a much cooler blogger than me. She has, like, lots of readers and can write like a mofo. Did you know she wrote a book? I can't wait to read it. So yes, she=awesome, me=super-nerd.
I picked Jen up and then proceeded to be a terrible conversationalist due to the majority of my brain being occupied by navigating LA traffic (which blows, in case you didn't know). She took me to see the LA Derby Dolls championship game, which (like Jen herself) was AWESOME. Because of her connections, we helped park cars and got into the sold out bout.
(Also, multiple pictures on this post. A thousand words and all that...) So now I am having fantasies about dropping out of graduate school so I have time to take up roller derby. It's right up my alley, y'all! I mean, I played water polo in high school, which is (not at all the same) also brutal and aggressive. I love brutalizing my opponents in the context of (carefully skirted) rules! I love rollerskating too! (Also not at all the same as roller derby...)
Unfortunately we weren't allowed to bring cameras into the bout, so I don't have pictures of the actual sport, but you can check out pictures from the bout we watched here, and more at their flickr page here.
See? Don't you want to be friends with those awesome chicas? (Note to self: look up "awesome" in thesaurus and liberally substitute other words into future posts.)
In summary: FUN!
------------------------------
So that was Saturday. Sunday I went to Magic Mountain for a friend's birthday and we rode aaaaaaaall the roller coasters. Riding roller coasters is one of my favorite things, but in 50 degree weather, it makes your eyes/nose/mouth water, so you look like this:
Crazy and watery and mascara-smeary and red-nosed and happy.
7 comments:
Awww, I love riding rollercoasters too, and I've been wanting to do it for at least 3 years now (they're lacking in the Arctic). I'm all nostalgic about going to Disneyland with you and wish we could ride some together sometime. Maybe in April?!?!?!?! (submitted my abstract)
Oh, I love roller coasters! Now that I have glasses, though, I'm always a little bit nervous.
And roller derby! That sounds so neat. I've always wanted to go sometime.
Kim, you'd better stay extra days to visit me if you're down here in April!!!!
Do your roller derbiests invite everyone out to the bars too? "You can buy us drinks" they say here. And you're totally right, the shows are stupendous (=awesome).
That sounds like such a blast. I need to get myself to a roller derby. LOL!
I LOVE the picture of you it was so cute! I also love rollercoasters, but sadly the last time I rode one I was all motion sick, I never use to get motion sick on rollercoasters. I hate getting old.
I just want to "thumbs up," "like" and "gold star" this entire post. Especially the first part where two of my favorite people (and my divorce buddies!) are in a picture holding signs together!
The only thing missing: ME.
And some matching t-shirts or something.
Post a Comment